Owner operator Jerry Johnson joined Bennett in 2004 after being referred by another trucker who told him that Bennett was the place to work. Jerry came off a string of negative experiences with other trucking companies who did not treat him honestly, he says, and he is very happy with Bennett where he is getting lots of loads and has done very well.
“I had leased to four companies that tried to make money on me without me knowing,” he says. “Here, you don’t have to worry about that. At Bennett, when you’re told something, you can trust it.”
Jerry’s more than 13 years with Bennett hasn’t all been a bed of roses, he admits. “I’ve gotten mad and tried to quit a couple of times, but then thought better of it. I’m glad I did because at this company, the people are good, the money is good and they treat you like family. And I’m telling you the truth!”
Jerry offers advice for all drivers, wherever they are in their careers. Here’s Jerry’s recipe for success:
- Don’t let your emotions get the best of you! Think about what you’re doing before you do it. No job is perfect. Everybody gets mad on the job sometimes. At Bennett, I’ve always found a way to work through the problems, and they have always come through and made things right.
- Give it some time. My biggest advice to drivers is to be patient! Take the time to learn your company’s system. You’re not going to learn it off the bat. You have to grow into the company. That’s all there is to it. At Bennett, if you learn the system, there is no reason why you can’t do well.
- Be willing to be flexible. The more versatile you are, the better off you are, especially when freight rates go down. Whatever your company needs, even if it’s not something you’ve done before, be willing to change gears and try something different. You’ll do good, and they’ll keep coming back to you!
- Present a good attitude. If you treat people well, they will treat you well. A good attitude can carry you a long way. Treat people the way you want to be treated.
- Build relationships. Make a good rapport with people and give them a chance to see what you can do and how you think. Establish yourself with the company and the agents, and once they get to know you, that affects how you grow in the company.
If you’re looking to make the change and drive for Bennett, or if you’d just like more information, visit www.drive4bme.com, or contact one of our recruiters at 800-367-2249!